Welcome NJHA members to the 2017 Fall HYFA Scholarship and National Hereford Queen Application Web Site
The Hereford Youth Foundation of America (HYFA) is pleased to announce $144,000 in scholarships will be awarded this fall to members of the National Junior Hereford Association (NJHA) to assist in financing their college educations. Due to the high volume of applications, we ask that all applicants MUST BE enrolled as a college freshman or older to apply and receive a fall scholarship.
Highlighting the scholarship offering again this fall is a special gift from Jack and Donna Vanier of CK Ranch, Brookville, Kan. The Vanier family will award a $10,000 Vanier Family Scholarship to 10 Hereford youth who demonstrate a strong work ethic, commitment to higher education and have overcome obstacles in his or her life. Vanier Family Scholarships willl total $100,000 in 2017.
Additional scholarships available include (2) $5,000 EE Ranch scholarships, a $5,000 Ball Foundation/Cottonwood Springs Scholarship, $5,000 Perks Ranch Scholarship, $5,000 CBY Polled Herefords and Bob and Dolores Call Scholarship, $4,000 Bar One Ranch Scholarship in memory of Ken Tracy, $2,500 Whitehead Ranches Scholarship, $2,500 Fauquier Farms and Bob and Lucy Kube Scholarship, $2,500 Randy and Kelly Owen Scholarship, $2,500 Blin Family Scholarship, $2,500 Larson Polled Herefords Scholarship and a $2,500 Gary Bishop Memorial Scholarship.
Applicant must be a NJHA member in good standing.
Applicant must be a paid member for the past three consecutive years.
All scholarship applicants must have completed their senior year of high school and/ or currently enrolled in a four- year accredited university, junior/ community college and/ or a technical institution.
All applicants must have maintained at least a “C” or 2 .0 grade point average. A current academic transcript must accompany the application.
Applicants meeting the necessary requirements can apply any number of times provided they maintain the required academic standards. A new application must be submitted each year.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted and we advise a family member, teacher or advisor review your application prior to submission.
We are adding an online interview process to the Fall HYFA scholarships. After the applications are received and reviewed the top applicants will be notified and we will be conducting Zoom online interviews to finalize the selection process.
For more information regarding the individual fall scholarships please visit https://hereford.org/youth/scholarship-opportunities/
Applications for HYFA scholarships are to be completed online .
HYFA Fall Scholarship and Gary Bishop Memorial Applications — Due Sept. 1
National Hereford Queen Application
The National Hereford Queen is the face of the Hereford breed and an agriculture advocate setting a positive example for young women. Queen candidates are evaluated on their involvement with and knowledge of the Hereford breed, behavior, attitude, appearance and interaction with producers, as well as their résumés and interviews. Judges look for a responsible, well-rounded young lady who is willing to spend an entire year traveling all over the country to represent the Hereford breed to her best ability.
- Applicant must be at least 16 years old and not have reached 22 years of age by January 1 of the year that she will represent her state at the Junior National Hereford Expo
- Must be single, never married, no children.
- Membership requirements before Sept 1 deadline for all documents to be submitted to for National Hereford Queen Contest
- Must be a member of the National Junior Hereford Association
- Must be a daughter or granddaughter of a Hereford breeder who is a member of the AHA or must own a Hereford animal
- Family member must be member of NHW by August 10
- Must have been designated a State Polled or Horned Hereford Queen
- May serve as her state association queen for a second year
- May compete for National Hereford Queen two years providing she did not win the National Hereford Queen if approved by her state qutitle and she has the approval of her state
- A candidate may not be a state or national queen/princess for another breed
- Candidates may not be serving on the National Junior Board of Directors and National Queen in the same year
- The sponsoring state organization must have at least one National Hereford Women member with their national dues paid by August 10 of that there state queen is competing for National Hereford Queen
- Candidate must complete the Master of Beef Advocacy Program sponsored by the Beef Check-off Program by the National Hereford Queen contest application deadline of the National Queen Competition.
Hereford Review Room Instructions:
Step 1) Make sure to click on the signup button at the top of the page. Step 2) Once you complete the signup process, you'll get an email to confirm your registration. Make sure to check your spam box just in case! Please add us to your safe sender list so that you can continue to receive messages from us. Step 3) Upload all application material on the site as per the instructions you'll see when you log in. Contact: If you have any questions about the application process, please contact: Amy Cowan, AHA Director of Youth Activities and Foundation, at email@example.com or 816-842-3757 If you have any technical questions about how to use the site, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and the software application providers can help address your question.